Skipping breakfast slows down your metabolism, can contribute to weight gain, cause unhealthy eating habits like binging on junk food like processed sugar, throw your blood sugar levels out of whack, made you moody and give you brain fog.
Breakfast can be made very simply for the busy work week, here are some ideas to enjoy:
*Gluten free toast with different toppings:
- smashed avocado with smoked salmon, a runny fried egg or a slice of turkey breast
- nut butter with smashed berries
- hummus and tomato with a drizzle of olive oil
*1/3 cup of steel cut oats with your choice of toppings such as raw nuts and seeds, nut butter, goji berries, fresh berries, green apple, coconut flakes, cacao nibs, cinnamon, pure vanilla extract and homemade nut milk etc.
*Green smoothie (stay tuned for this yummy recipe coming to the blog next)
*My signature coconut smoothie:
- 2/3 cup pure coconut milk (chilled)
- 2/3 cup of cold water (you can adjust the amount of water you add based on desired creaminess)
- Optionally: 3 ice cubes
- 1 tsp. maca powder
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds and / or 1 tbsp. hemp seeds
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. goji berries
- 1 tbsp. nut butter
- 1 handful berries of choice (fresh or frozen)
Optional Add Ons (or substitutions):
* 1 tbsp. raw cacao powder for a choc-olicious berry smoothie
* 1 handful of spinach for green goddess power
* 1 tbsp. freshly ground flax seeds if you need a little help going to the toilet
* 1/2 ripe banana if you are a fitness junkie
* 1 tsp. spirulina powder for protein punch and blood purification / detoxification
*Eggs any style with vegetables of choice (poached, scrambled, fried, boiled, omelet, frittata, baked etc.). Eggs go great with any of the following toppings: avocado, smoked salmon, bell pepper, onion, mushroom, kale, tomato and spinach.
*Homemade granola with homemade nut milk and fresh berries (get inspiration from the list of toppings above for steel cut oats)
*Chia pudding (get inspiration from the list of toppings above for steel cut oats)
*Overnight oats (find a recipe for yummy overnight oats in my Pinterest folder)
*Think of breakfast as if it were any other meal: savory dishes using clean animal protein and vegetables are great! Cook extra for dinner and enjoy a quick and easy breakfast for on the go.
*Hot cereal varieties: quinoa, brown rice, oat bran, and buckwheat etc. You can buy these from any health foods store such as Whole Foods or online... they are just like porridge / oatmeal and very quick cooking for busy mornings.
OR... cook a batch of whole grains earlier in the week e.g. quinoa, buckwheat, millet, brown rice or amaranth and turn some of it into porridge yourself by warming up 1/2 cup max. of the cooked grains on the stove top with some homemade nut milk. (Get inspiration from the list of toppings above for steel cut oats.)
For more healthy inspiration, contact me for a complimentary health consultation, the first step in getting your own unique balance and wellness back!