There is a lot of stress in this modern world both on our minds, on our bodies and on the environment. A persons stress is a survival mechanism, you may have heard of being in "fight or flight" mode!? Well this was designed for being a temporary response to danger. But now, with the combination of a fast paced life, technology making us accessible 24/7, big work loads and responsibilities, processed and conventional food consumption, toxins and pollution, and lack of sleep and self care... we are in such a constant state of stress / "fight or flight" mode that we are quickly becoming very unhealthy, unhappy and exhausted. This clearly is not ideal or sustainable.
By far my favorite way to destress naturally and without having to spend hundreds of dollars on a therapist, day spa or retreat, is to immerse myself in nature on a daily basis. Just like making time to sleep, eat or workout, we need to prioritize engaging our senses with the therapeutic qualities of the great outdoors. Here are my favorite ways to do this no matter who you are or where you live:
- Wake up with the sun and eat breakfast while soaking up its feel good rays
- Sink your feet into the grass of your garden and feel the sensation between your toes
- Visit a local community garden or park and go for a stroll, meditate or read a good book
- Ditch your gym membership and get creative by finding new ways to get active outdoors: play with the kids in your backyard, walk the dog in the sun, do yoga in the park amongst the trees, join a running group and discover new trails, swim in the beach etc.
- Bring indoor plants into your home, make a pot plant garden on your deck, grow herbs and vegetables in planter boxes in your yard. Surround yourself and your living environment with little pieces of nature. Getting your hands dirty and connecting with your food from seed all the way until it ends up on your dinner plate is an enriching experience.
What can you do starting from today onwards, to better connect with the natural world, to help manage stress and enhance your vitality?
Join me for a complementary phone call to discuss your health goals and how I can support you in achieving them! Spring is here and summer is next... look and feel your best!
Be sure to check out my website for more information about my Personalized Health Coaching Services and SIGN UP for my once Monthly Newsletter to receive BONUS wellness tips and resources.